Thursday, January 14, 2010



RELIEF FOR HAITI

As one who experienced the generosity of the entire world in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I would like to do something, in my own small way, to help raise funds for Doctors Without Borders, who are faced with a seemingly insurmountable challenge in the aftermath of the earthquake in Haiti.

Here are the rules:

Go to Doctors Without Borders and make a donation in any amount you can afford.  Be sure to click on the option for emergency relief, so that your donation is immediately available for relief in Haiti.

Then come back here, and leave a comment stating that you donated and listing the amount (the amount will be used only for me to report how much money was raised through this informal fundraiser).

Please make your donation between now and midnight on January 31st.

On February first, as my way of saying "Thank you," I will write each donor's name on a slip of paper, and draw at random five names for five different prizes.   

Whether you donate $5 or $5000, the amount you donate will have no effect on your chance of winning.

Prizes:

Two 200-yard skeins of handpainted Wool In The Woods "Cyclone" yarn in the "Spring Fest" colorway.

One skein of the Knitting Asylum's handspun mixed-wool blend, "Driftwood" in natural sheep colors, 160 yards.

One skein of the Knitting Asylum's handspun silk/merino blend in violet, teal and gold, 172 yards.

These prizes shown below:




And:

One stitch marker necklace from the delightful Shannon, made from shells and Czech glass beads.

One "Good to Go" nylon project tote.

These are shown below:



Not pictured:  two boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts donated by Lisa Louie.

I will try to improve the photo quality tomorrow.

Please donate.  Thank you.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

I'll throw a couple of boxes of chocolate covered macadamia nuts into the prize pile. Will go to you in the next outgoing box.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

Did it day before yesterday on YarnHarlots blog - - hers goes to DWB's & I gave $100. Wish to heck I had more & I could give some here too. There are lots of ways to give - - everyone should do whatever they can. Knitters ROCK !!~!!
Marietta

Marina McIntire said...

Just gave another $100. Gosh! It just feels like some countries can't catch a break! I hope people continue to come through for the Haitians.
Cheers/mm

Unknown said...

I just donated, Dez. I'd rather not post the amount, so I'll email it to you. =)

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

I donated $50, but I'm also donating 100% of proceeds from sales of my new pattern, Hugs and Kisses OXO Cable Fingerless Mitts, from now until Valentine's Day. Share the love! I'm up to an additional $160 for Doctors Without Borders.

Knit on!

Quinn said...

I donated 20$. My little bit added to the bucket :)

Shela said...

I donated $50.00 to DWB.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

I donated $60 in total last week to MSF. avennett@att.net

Anonymous said...

I donated $250, already reported through the Yarn Harlot's counting system.

LisaDinPA

(I would try to sign in through Google, but I can never remember my password... or is it my ID? Any way, I'll sign in as anonymous, but I'm tantelise AT yahoo DOT com)

Unknown said...

I donated $200 to DWB.

Anonymous said...

I donated $100 to DWB. I'm continually amazed at what a generous group knitter/fiber folks are - not just for the donations that they make, but for the things like what you're doing to further encourage/support those efforts.

triedandtrue on Rav

Emmy said...

I donated $10. Not much, but I'm desperately trying to save for university =[.

Anonymous said...

I telephoned DWB a couple of days ago to donate ($25) because I wanted to make sure it was going to be matched by the Canadian government. 9Does that make me a $50 donator?) And I've just reported in tonight on the Yarn Harlot blog.

I had read your comment to YH about posting the amount here, and I've been looking to find it again for hours and hours. (It is now 3:31 am.)

Goodnight/Good morning,
Janey
janeyknitting(AT)yahoo(DOT)ca
(Change bracketed caps for symbols.)